Wikipedia

I decided to edit the Wikipedia page on “The Breakers” which is the summer home Cornelius Vanderbilt built in Newport Rhode Island during the Gilded Age in1895. At that time “the Breakers was the largest, most opulent house in a summer resort considered the social capital of America.” (Wikipedia) I decided to edit this page because I visited the home on August 30th while visiting my friend who was there for work. I couldn’t think of anything that I was an “expert” in so I decided that my entry would have to be about an experience I had.

While editing I noticed that the requirements for copyrighted photos are quite extensive. You must have copyright information for photos and subjects of photos if the subject is copy written. For example if you photograph a famous painting you must prove that you have the right to share that photo. There is a process for approval that must be followed in order to publish on Wikipedia. For factual, written information it is necessary to cite your sources much as you would for a research paper.

The registration process was really simple. I registered even though you can edit pages without doing so. The process of uploading my photo to Wikipedia was also easy; I just had to state that it was my own work.

I added the 2nd photo of the garden and a few sentences about the guided tour. See the link below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Breakers

Comments

Popular Posts