Search & Usability

When I am searching for information on websites with lots of content, the first thing I usually do is search for what I'm looking for! I tend not to waste any time at all with the navigation bar or reading of text on the page. On the other hand, when I'm just browsing, headings, photos, and aesthetics really draw my attention. A combination of findability on a website and great graphic and visual design is essential to a highly usable website.

Search has truly revolutionized usability. Searching a content filled website by only navigating through the main page can be really frustrating. Even a poorly organized website doesn't seem as annoying because search engines make the information accessible. I am not sure what the process is for powering the search on a website through Google or Yahoo, but I imagine that it is quite easy. In short- we've all been spoiled by search engines and cannot ignore the impact they've had on web usability.

Cool websites really improve user experience. I love visiting websites that are creative! Web Designer Wall is my favorite website for design. Before I even knew that I would pursue a studies in web design or computer science, I was inspired by that site. Everything just looks so creative and for a website on design the layout, color scheme, and graphics made it far more credible. For me the trendiness of a website has a direct correlation with how long I stay on a website.

Comments

Popular Posts