XML & Net Neutrality

This week has been interesting working with xml. I have found that xml has an intuitive structure. Most of what I learned was through w3schools.org which I have found to be a really useful site for learning the basics of many different web-based languages. I can certainly see how xml is useful for formatting the information on webpage so that it is easier to follow and transport from one source to another. Once I made the xml template the xsd part was easy to create especially with the Oxygen editor. I have not yet made the stylesheet, but I think it will be fairly straightforward. I can see why this web standard is recommended.

I also began to realize how stylesheets used with xml can make a site more searchable. For example, you can place keywords in a specific xml tags then reference those tags in an xsl stylesheet in order to bold or italicize these words to attract that content to a search spider.

The other part of what I learned this week concerns the controversial issue of net neutrality. I realize more that the arguement more about whether government interests are in the best interest of people not whether the internet should be available to the public. If we assume that the government is not acting selfishly to track individual's internet usage or censor certain websites, but is seeking to ensure large corportations do not abuse their power as providers, then I am definitely for net neutrality regulation. I believe, particularly as an educator that the entire internet at all bandwiths should be available at a flat rate for everyone, especially students and the underpriveleged. The internet is now, more than ever, the number one source for information. It would do the country a disservice to limit its citizens in such a way, especially its young people. Americas young people are constantly critized for underacheiving. Limited access to the internet for customers that cannot afford "the whole internet" will only exacerbate the problem.

Comments

Popular Posts