SEO and Optimizing my Life :-)

Tonight's speaker, David Felfoldi, on search engine optimization was by far the most interesting learning experience in class this week. After completing the midterm assignment my interest was already piqued. But Mr. Fenfoldi's presentation put everything into perspective. I always knew that having a highly relevant site was most important to achieving a high rank in organic search. I was not as aware of how the details of keyword phrasing could really affect relevancy. For example, a plural key word versus singular could have dramatically different search numbers. Organic search strategies seem to work best for niche markets because the more broad a site the less likely it is that the keywords represent the site as a whole. I guess that's when it becomes important to track visitors to individual pages. I found the criteria for conversion rates to also be interesting. I can see that this field will continue to grow as search engines get better and more businesses advertise and do business over the web.

I am eager to try some of Mr. Felfoldi's strategies on websites I create. I have all this ambition, but I'm not sure where I will find the time to practice. I will work on my teacher website to make it more dynamic but also more searchable. Because the domain of my school website is limited by the fultonschools.org domain I can't optimize that way but I intend to change tags and update my site with study tips or math problems of the week or something that may attract the attention of students other than my own. I am anxious to apply what I am learning in graduate school to my job as a high school teacher. This way I can hone in on my education without losing focus on my student's education. Hopefully doing this will optimize my life by minimizing my stress while maximizing what I learn!

Comments

  1. Glad you liked my presentation! For your own site, focus on figuring out what people might be searching and then following the on-page factors we discussed. You will see a positive result.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts